July 12, 2015
Originally posted on 6-30-15 at Lexxperienc.com.Pix click to sources, which contain lots more material on Giggerota.
At first glance, Giggerota looks like an ordinary human gone way out of control, a captured fugitive from the law, not just a serial murderer, but a cannibal as well. Why, then, did His Shadow's biggest enemy, the arch heretic known as Thodin, rescue her from certain death during sentencing on the Cluster? Because he nearly didn't. It's possible that even in his rush, Thodin believed so strongly that His Shadow was enemy to all that every person under that Shadow had to be freed, that he couldn't walk away with that nagging guilt right here in the heart of the Cluster after all the years he'd spent working diligently to get there. As it turned out later, his brief act of compassion was a very good thing, even though Giggerota was a very bad person. We'll come back to that.
Screen snips are difficult since the action is a little blurry, but here you can appreciate that she is literally wearing her husband, a symbol of her defiance against the tyranny that created her.
Created her? Why do I say that? If you've not yet seen I Worship His Shadow, don't worry, this really won't spoil anything for you and might even make the scenes less confusing, once the action starts up. Lexx is a hit and run kind of show that expects you to keep up.
Let's think about "Giggy" for a moment. We don't see other people like her, especially when we are shocked in the second movie Super Nova to see that she has been genetically altered. Those of us who've ventured all the way through the Lexx series know that bioviziers from the Cluster can animate the dead, but what else can they do? They are brilliant geniuses given free license for experimentation without limitation- nothing is too taboo. I believe Giggerota is the result of one of their experiments. This is conjecture, but other reviewers hint to the possibility of genetic modification, as well.
Divine Assassins were animated rebuilt corpses of former enemies programmed to carry out instant 'justice', Cluster style. The modifications that designed Giggerota may have originally been intended to create a living breed of assassins that could replicate themselves. Giggy is smart, yet severely restricted in focus due to a driving instinctual blood lust. She can reason in a very limited way. It's as if the bioviziers were attempting to install an Insect hard drive into a genetically human body. (Mantrid later succeeded in combining his human mind with Insect Essence into a machine.)
I mention in I Worship His Shadow- part 5- The Time Prophet that His Shadow, despite apparently having a hive mind, is alone among humans. I think His Shadow was keen on creating a new Order of Insects after his kind were wiped out in the Insect Wars. We never find out whether Giggerota possesses Insect Essence or could pass that along if she did, but we do know His Shadow definitely wants her dead now. She is an experiment gone horribly awry, killing priests and smashing up temples, something not allowed in a society where religion is government control. Giggerota's rebellions presented the possible danger of leading others into an uprising.
A note on Insect Essence from Insect Tech... or, Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Bugs... Speculations on the Insect Civilisation-
"In Mantrid we're told it's the insects equivalent of a human "soul" or a computer "program." Without it, the Insect cannot become fully alive. It is the motivating force/mind life energy of the Insect."
Giggerota's first instinct, once freed, is to follow the meat instead of help free the other prisoners.
We saw in an earlier scene that fresh protein gathered from prisoners sentenced to death goes straight to the Lexx.
Since I'll be doing more in-depth on what actually happens as I continue the Lexx film review, let's skip to why Giggerota turns out to be so important.
First of all, I can't assume Thodin didn't know who and what Giggerota was. If you've read Heresy in the First Degree- Thodin of the Ostral-B Pair, you know I think that Giggy and Thodin were both on B3K before they were put on the prisoner transport for the Cluster. She's originally from Boron-7, which we get no further mention of or info about after her sentencing on the Cluster, so anything I think about it is my own leap into pure conjecture. I'll simply state that I think Boron-7 is one of the 'lab' planets where experiments are worked on away from regular society. Giggerota was 'born' there because she was created there. I don't believe she had parents and a normal childhood. Imagination can run wild about the secret horrors happening on Boron-7, and Thodin probably knew about it through his info-gathering underground network.
Thodin has been fighting against His Divine Shadow probably all his life, is famous throughout the League of 20,000 Planets and beyond, and I believe was hiding out on B3K after his own planet was destroyed, presumably by the planet destroyer known as the Megashadow, since Kai had damaged the Foreshadow. I think Giggerota wound up on B3K because she was sent there to be integrated into society. Rare scenes of temple weddings on B3K allude to a thriving well-ordered society that 'educates' women for the wife bank and regurgitates them into strictly monitored couples who continue to procreate and serve His Shadow. (We find out in the fourth movie Giga Shadow that people are the cattle that literally feed Order.)
Zev instinctively belting her new husband across the chops during the Giggerota rebellion was really bad timing, although I doubt Zev's sentence would have been reduced at any other time, given the harshness of their laws and judicial system. I also doubt Zev knew who Giggy was since she'd been in a box probably right up to the wedding, never seeing the outside world, but they wound up on a prisoner transport together, and later wound up on the Lexx together, Zev being genetically modified herself as well by then. These two both represent women starting out as less than third class citizens with their status being reduced to virtual property of the government, as I point out about Zev in I Worship His Shadow- Part 9- Thodin. Knowing all this, I believe Thodin likes that Giggerota backfired and rebelled against Order, and he probably freed her so she could go on to create more chaos. Distraction from his own plan to steal the Lexx could only be a good thing, right?
Back to why Giggerota is so important to the story. Hang on, let me briefly interrupt myself.
Lexx trivia about Giggerota from Ellen Dubin's facebook page.
"Ellen is also a cult figure in the sci-fi world for playing the wild alien cannibal Giggerota the Wicked in the international cult hit LEXX. She has the distinction of doing all four seasons and playing four different characters in this very popular show. Ellen played the first female Pope in sci-fi history in LEXX."
So right off the bat, there's that, but let's go a bit deeper. Giggerota's heavy influence haunted the crew far beyond death, as we shall see.
In season one, Giggerota is the one who gets Stanley to the bridge of the Lexx after Thodin is killed. Stanley accidentally got the key from one of the heretics after Thodin passed it along and then a cluster lizard ate the heretic. Once Stanley activated the Lexx with the key, it was Giggerota's idea to go to the Frontier, beyond the reach of the League of 20,000. Despite being thrown off the bridge and presumably dying, she shows up in the next movie, scavenging for food, tearing off and eating pieces of the Lexx...
...until she is caught again and tied up.
This is where we find out Giggerota is likely a product of bioengineering and possibly hosting Insect Essence, as evidenced by the Divine Predecessors in the tail section of the Lexx being able to contact her after the others leave her behind to explore Brunnis. The brains are apparently already aware of what's going on, presumably because they've had contact with Giggerota all along. Not much is known about Insect Essence, but I'm concluding from this that it allows for communication across distance, like a psychic link. This further confirms in my mind that Giggy is a product created by bioviziers with the intention of working for purposes that served His Shadow.
Despite her being a super egocentric psychopath with limited reasoning skills, the Predecessors are able to negotiate a deal with Giggerota to venture onto Brunnis and bring Stanley back so she can make the Lexx fly to a wonderful feast on Dexter 9, the secret planet of the milk fed boys. At first we think this backfires because she only brings back Stan's hand after she gets frustrated and bites it off.
Here we learn something vital about the key. One would presume that Stanley's hand must be brought back alive and still attached for the key to work, as the key can only exist in a living body. We must remember the key is a bio-amalgam of Insect Essence and Stan's hand. His hand apparently won't die just because it's bitten off, which the brains know but Giggy doesn't. A few Predecessors suffer a bit of shredding amid Giggy's frustrated rants when they chide her epic fail, but they're able to trick her, convincing her to go back for Stanley. After she leaves the Lexx again, the Predecessors practice communicating directly with the Insect essence within the key in Stan's hand until it recognizes the user and follows commands.
Since what I just said about the key brings up more questions, knowing that protoblood animates dead flesh, but the key will flee a dying body, just accept that essence and protoblood are two different Insect things, and that the key has been biochemically manipulated and coded, like a living software program. The key itself can't die, but it also won't keep the user animated beyond death. The Predecessors were still able to use the key in a severed hand because it hadn't fled the hand, since Stanley obviously wasn't anywhere near death when his hand was bitten off.
We were vitally distracted from why Giggerota's presence is still so important on Brunnis, despite all the damage and suffering she inflicted. If she hadn't been there, Stanley would never have been rescued from Poet Man, simply put.
And not to put too blunt a spoiler here, but since that's the extent of Giggerota's importance in season one, she croaked off, and I'm not going to tell you how, in case you haven't seen the show. But don't worry, we haven't seen the last of her by a long shot. By the way, if Giggerota really did have Insect Essence incorporated into her, this is the perfect way to actually kill her, aside from dismemberment and becoming Lexx food on the Cluster. I'm not sure she was killable otherwise.
Since this post is already pretty lengthy, I'll continue my Giggerota character review in a later post or two.
Giggerota was played by Ellen Dubin, who mentioned last spring that she still has the original Pope costume. Like her facebook page and follow her on twitter because she's really good about linking current projects and fan interaction.
Go on to part two.
XANGA IS BACK - a public thank you to the Xanga Team.
Lexxperience.com supports mobile viewing until Xanga gets that going again. (It's back on my Android now when I turn it sideways.)
Lexxperience is also on Facebook Public sharing page for Lexx fans.
Open discussion in the Lexxperience group on Facebook if you'd like to interact with me and other fans about what I'm writing about Lexx.
SAVE LEXX <-- what's happening with this blog.
I will NEVER ask for or accept donations to keep this site going. Ever.
Laptop screencaps used in not for profit blog episode and character reviews and film study at grandfortuna.xanga.com and lexxperience.blogspot.com Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."
My screencaps are hosted at LexxPix. You are welcome to use my bandwidth to share these pix to other sites.
Public hashtag #pblexxpix goes to a shared album in my photobucket. Anything on twitter, instagram, and photobucket labeled with this hashtag will automatically appear in this album as well. You are welcome to use my bandwidth to share these pix to other sites.
Lexx fans have permission to translate and copy my material to other fan sites and hotlink images from this blog.
My original tracker also still lets me see the latest 500 visitors on a map. I once counted over 80 countries among the total visits. You guys are not alone. Click the map to see it better.
Besides Lexx, the most common search phrases that bring new visitors here are variations on 'huge spaceship'. The most seen post from a phrase search is How Big is the Lexx? My biggest Lexx referrer is Lexx Domain. Most of page views per person count comes from the Lexx tag on Tumblr. Visitors who stay the longest come through URLOpener and are pinged through the Google translator server in Mountain View, CA.
Everything I have in this blog
- 1127 January 27, 2016
- Zev vs Xev August 27, 2015
- Pope Giggy- Giggerota, Part 4 July 12, 2015
- It's Good to be Queen- Giggerota, Part Three July 12, 2015
- gettin Giggy with the afterlife: Giggerota- Part Two July 12, 2015
- Giggerota the Wicked, Part One July 12, 2015
- Heresy in the First Degree- Thodin of the Ostral-B Pair March 29, 2015
- this is a test March 19, 2015
- Are You Lexxperienced? February 8, 2015
- 790 spotted at a comiccon September 15, 2014
- Lexxperience August 19, 2014
- Bunny July 5, 2014
- Whatever happened to the Line Major? June 18, 2014
- googled7648688230920ba.html June 11, 2014
- ugmo June 1, 2014
- Lexx on twitter May 15, 2014
- Where can I watch Lexx? April 15, 2014
- I Worship His Shadow- part 10- the bug bomb March 13, 2014
- Lexx is not dead March 5, 2014
- Valentine Lexx February 4, 2014
- Last of the Brunnen-G: Sci-fi's Favorite Zombie February 3, 2014
- The Dark Zone and the Cycles of Time January 17, 2014
- Lexx fans video chat December 13, 2013
- But the dark zone is full of depravity and evilness and darkness November 6, 2013
- Lexx 2.0- coughing through the dust cloud September 4, 2013
- Lexx- Season Two August 26, 2013
- Print Your Own LEXX Magazine June 17, 2013
- LEXX WATCH PARTY 6-15-13 June 13, 2013
- Stargate Pie May 21, 2013
- the coolest LEXX t-shirt in the world May 14, 2013
- in which I thought T'Pol was a goner May 2, 2013
- Please Don't Bring Merlin Back April 27, 2013
- Lost Lexx Art April 12, 2013
- The Runelord April 12, 2013
- The Dead Do Not Snark April 9, 2013
- early monthly update April April 4, 2013
- Lexx actors on twitter and facebook March 28, 2013
- Old Fashioned Chicken Stock March 26, 2013
- the making of Lexx March 24, 2013
- Why Lexx Is Personal March 23, 2013
- The Lexx Revival Project March 19, 2013
- Lexx Twitter Challenge March 18, 2013
- monthly update March 2013 March 14, 2013
- 3-13-13 March 13, 2013
- How big is the Lexx? February 26, 2013
- the day after Q February 22, 2013
- wrath of Q, sort of February 21, 2013
- diabetes and steroid meds February 21, 2013
- monthy update February 2013 February 15, 2013
- campfire scrambled eggs February 12, 2013
- Stanley Tweedle February 3, 2013
- the sounds of LEXX- info, downloads, soundtracks January 25, 2013
- I Worship His Shadow- part 9- Thodin January 10, 2013
- glitchy guestbook January 9, 2013
- Group LEXX watch twitter party January 5, 2013
- The Nerdist Wimp January 1, 2013
- You Can't Handle Watching LEXX December 30, 2012
- Loca Chili Bake December 29, 2012
- surprise! December 29, 2012
- Lexx- wallpapers, icons, pix December 27, 2012
- Kai on the River Kwai December 23, 2012
- Lexx on Netflix December 23, 2012
- End of the World December 21, 2012
- pleasant surprises December 18, 2012
- Happy Decemberween December 15, 2012
- Holiday Lexx December 14, 2012
- Lexx traffic December 12, 2012
- Why Lexx Is Important December 7, 2012
- Prisoner Zero December 7, 2012
- Lexx ecards December 4, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 8- Zev Bellringer December 1, 2012
- What, NO Lexx??? November 28, 2012
- chicken herd November 27, 2012
- sausage king of Chicago November 27, 2012
- Da Lexx- Rapdicted November 27, 2012
- Lexx on Droid November 25, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 7- Termination November 25, 2012
- Lexx and psychological health, perhaps November 20, 2012
- in between times November 19, 2012
- Any particular reason why Florida? November 18, 2012
- Holidays with Diabetes- Easier Than You Think November 14, 2012
- this year has been intoxicating November 13, 2012
- Lexx- opening sequence November 13, 2012
- Daycation November 9, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 6- The Big Bug November 7, 2012
- Wabble- online Scrabble game November 6, 2012
- and, sadly, no rooster around to make this worthwhile November 2, 2012
- Team Nerd November 1, 2012
- Saving Mr.s Thompson- the secrets October 31, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 5- The Time Prophet October 30, 2012
- autumn peak in the Ozarks October 29, 2012
- happy birthday! October 24, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 4- His Divine Shadow October 22, 2012
- 172 October 20, 2012
- how to give to charity, Charlie Brown October 19, 2012
- 173 October 18, 2012
- John Deakins- Barrow October 18, 2012
- 174 October 17, 2012
- 175 October 16, 2012
- 176 October 15, 2012
- Italian Chicken Fingers October 14, 2012
- killing time in between thunderstorms October 13, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 3- Stanley Tweedle October 12, 2012
- prisoner transports over a stadium... October 11, 2012
- why am I taking so long posting more Lexx?!?! >=( October 11, 2012
- stunt double October 9, 2012
- professional yard cleaning service October 8, 2012
- really good chicken soup October 7, 2012
- a meandering kind of day October 5, 2012
- The Nerdist Way October 3, 2012
- Saving Mr.s Thompson October 2, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 2- The Cluster September 29, 2012
- mmm, rocks September 29, 2012
- Glade Top Trail September 24, 2012
- it's Halloween all year long with us September 19, 2012
- cackleberry factory September 16, 2012
- Lexx 1: I Worship His Shadow, part one September 13, 2012
- putting our purple on September 9, 2012
- restaurant quality alfredo sauce September 7, 2012
- The Lexx September 6, 2012
- visitors September 3, 2012
- blueberry buttermilk applejacks September 1, 2012
- Saving Mr. S Thompson August 29, 2012
- LARPing the night away August 24, 2012
- Marcel August 22, 2012
- ready for some peace and quiet August 20, 2012
- sex is wrong, or coming out of the pandimensional closet August 19, 2012
- ok, let's drag Lexx back out of the closet August 17, 2012
- in which I nearly saved Wil Wheaton's life August 16, 2012
- brain melt August 9, 2012
- molten lava cake could also equal love August 7, 2012
- the zombies got sitemeter August 7, 2012
- I married a zombie August 5, 2012
- feed me, Seymour August 4, 2012
- SAVE FERRIS July 29, 2012
- if there's time to lean, there's time to clean- ug July 28, 2012
- on a cicada-free night, you'd think we'd sleep July 28, 2012
- I have this chicken thing July 23, 2012
- Is anybody else watching Lost all over again? July 19, 2012
- zombie apocalypse July 13, 2012
- I did the unthinkable July 12, 2012