November 25, 2012
Images from photobucket.com/lexxpix. Thumbnails click to original size.
One more little film study before the rest starts exploding into its legendary sex and violence, which, if you aren't yet familiar with the Lexx movies and series, is intro'd nicely with an interview at Part 1 - Dark Zone Adventures. Remember how in part 4 I was a little obsessed with all the shadows they created with their lighting and how that played so nicely into His Divine Shadow's theme? This time, if you've got the dvd and can watch this, the shadows and weird lighting with the background sounds brainwash you right onto the Cluster.
Yeah, I got 97 screen shots for this one. Because I love Stanley Tweedle. Because I've felt just as sick to my stomach as that character has, and I'll bet some of you have, too. We may not have been told what he was told, but it may have been terrible for ~us~. And we can see in his face how incredibly awful his day is getting. And we know how it must feel....
As you recall from part 3, Stanley is in very bad trouble and has to report to Correction Center Number 40 after shift change. He's already been demoted to the lowest class (4th) and has accrued 991 demerits. Our scene opens in a hallway with the correction center just ahead. And here our journey with Stanley Tweedle truly begins. That hallway is so cast in shadow that much of Stanley's walk is through dark patches, and ominous shadows are splashed across the floors and walls. As he walks we hear the play of odd chimes and soft gongs (the sounds of time, as it were), footsteps of people crisscrossing without talking, the gears of little mechanical servos buzzing around. It all looks like mechanical interplay, like the whole building is a big wind up mechanism running on a preprogrammed schedule. In the center is a looming desk, and over it an illuminated clock. The scene is clockwork in every sense, like a living piece of artwork. And more subtly you hear the screams of agony coming from somewhere close by, almost like music mixed in with the chimes. There is no escape.
Stan approaches the desk run by a busy looking Class 2 Data Clerk (you can tell by their hats what class they are) and says, "I was supposed to escort a prisoner here, Stanley Tweedle 467329 dash four-three department five-one-one level four." "Yeah?" The clerk just looks at him. Stan starts again- "He is refusing to turn himself in." "Yeah?" "I thought that if you told me what his punishment would be for not showing up, that might help persuade him." "Oh, eh. Give me that number again?" "467329 dash four-three department five-one-one level four?"
Anyone else catch that? One of the numbers is transposed from part 2, when we got this, in case you keep track of bloopers.
"Good morning. Security Guard Class 4, number 47632943, Department 511, Level 4. This is your third wake up call. If you are late, you will receive 7 demerits. You already have 991 demerits."
Ok, so the clerk is typing away, stops, snickers. "If he's not here when we close at watch change, termination order will be issued automatically." Smiles. Seems like a friendly guy, helpful. You can see in Stanley's eyes he wasn't expecting to hear a *termination* order. The clerk goes on- "It's about, uh, 20 minutes." There's that smile again.
"Termination???" This is unbelievable. "That's what it says, termination." Again with that smile. You get the feeling that anything is fine as long as it doesn't affect him. The chimes in the background don't change, but in the mind they start sounding like death knells.
Stanley blurts in shock. "But he's a Designated Data Cooperator, he can't be terminated because he might be needed someday for important information!" He looks and sounds terrified. He was riding along for years on this one fact.
"DDC, eh?" You can tell this man enjoys his job. I couldn't help getting almost frame by frame on his demeanor. "Oh, sorry. That expired five months ago." Stan is stunned to get this news flash.
The clerk keeps going. "Let's see, he's a Level 4, Class 47 Transgression, normally -zzzt- cauterization." Yes, he actually added his own sound effect. Stan looks like he could live with that. "But, he's got 991 demerits and there's a special notation, so it looks like- one to three organs." Delivered with a smile.
"One to three organs???" Stan's shadow lurches up the side of the desk in all directions.
The clerk says, "Yeah. He'll have to donate one to three organs, depending on demand." "Demand?" "Demand for soft organs is red hot right now, so he's pretty well sure to be a triple donor." "But he didn't even do anything, it's just a mixup!" Stan is barely holding back his panic. The background screams become more noticeable here, and the clerk says with his biggest grin yet, "Life's a mixup." Smile, chuckle, laugh. This guy thinks he's a riot. He probably hasn't had a conversation this long in awhile. And he's not getting involved in this one with a 30 foot pole. If he has a clue Stanley is really talking about himself, he's not showing it.
But Stan doesn't crumble. Even in the face of immediate death and dismemberment, his mind is struggling for a way to deal with this, and to keep acting cool about it. "What organs?" "Usual combo...
...eyeball, kidney, testicle." Another big smile.
Stan looks pretty sick.
"If they want bone they'll take an arm or a leg, but we haven't done a limb cut in days." There's that smile again. So reassuring. "I'd suggest he turn himself in. After all, triple organ's better than a termination, huh?" Almost got a wink there.
Stan makes a flimsy attempt to heh heh back and fails. He just looks sick, there is no way out of this. "May His Merciful Shadow fall upon you," he tries to say but winds up in a whisper, and he can't make his arm go through the salute. The clerk is already typing away, but glances up long enough to give Stan another winning smile, a quickie salute, and looks back down again at his monitor as he grunts out a mangled, "Yeah", which feels like 'Yeah that bogus stuff, I hear ya, but I'm busy, see ya.' Stan is just another dead man talking to him in that hollow place, and there is no way he's going to let that dampen his good mood, which is probably even better now that he feels safer on his side of the desk.
Stan turns and exits dejectedly back out of the correction center, same angle, same shadows, same clockwork going on around him, his horrible moment swallowed up in bureaucracy. I think the glowing clock above their heads and the soft chimes still going on in the background along with the muffled screams and the barred shadows along the floor near the sickly dull red lighting makes a perfect picture for what must be going on in Stanley's head and chest about now. He kicks a servo going by, which flies into pieces, and the person nearest him jumps nearly out of his skin as if nothing that violent ever happens in that place. Or perhaps, because they all tiptoe around the constant violence ripping people apart in the next room. Stan walks into the blackness all alone in a giant crowded trap...And isn't this the ultimate nightmare that bureaucracy is, a mockery of humans being... (I'm a Van Halen fan, that's a cool song. No, they had nothing to do with Lexx.)
I love the acting in this scene. You can find out more about the Correction Center Guard, played by Bill Carr, at Bill Carr - IMDb, and follow him on Twitter. And you can find the 'real' Stanley H. Tweedle at Brian Downey's facebook.
Am I Lexxing too slowly? Order it for yourself from Echo Bridge Entertainment- Lexx
Comments are closed.
Post a Comment
XANGA IS BACK - a public thank you to the Xanga Team.
Lexxperience.com supports mobile viewing until Xanga gets that going again. (It's back on my Android now when I turn it sideways.)
Lexxperience is also on Facebook Public sharing page for Lexx fans.
Open discussion in the Lexxperience group on Facebook if you'd like to interact with me and other fans about what I'm writing about Lexx.
SAVE LEXX <-- what's happening with this blog.
I will NEVER ask for or accept donations to keep this site going. Ever.
Laptop screencaps used in not for profit blog episode and character reviews and film study at grandfortuna.xanga.com and lexxperience.blogspot.com Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."
My screencaps are hosted at LexxPix. You are welcome to use my bandwidth to share these pix to other sites.
Public hashtag #pblexxpix goes to a shared album in my photobucket. Anything on twitter, instagram, and photobucket labeled with this hashtag will automatically appear in this album as well. You are welcome to use my bandwidth to share these pix to other sites.
Lexx fans have permission to translate and copy my material to other fan sites and hotlink images from this blog.
My original tracker also still lets me see the latest 500 visitors on a map. I once counted over 80 countries among the total visits. You guys are not alone. Click the map to see it better.
Besides Lexx, the most common search phrases that bring new visitors here are variations on 'huge spaceship'. The most seen post from a phrase search is How Big is the Lexx? My biggest Lexx referrer is Lexx Domain. Most of page views per person count comes from the Lexx tag on Tumblr. Visitors who stay the longest come through URLOpener and are pinged through the Google translator server in Mountain View, CA.
Everything I have in this blog
- 1127 January 27, 2016
- Zev vs Xev August 27, 2015
- Pope Giggy- Giggerota, Part 4 July 12, 2015
- It's Good to be Queen- Giggerota, Part Three July 12, 2015
- gettin Giggy with the afterlife: Giggerota- Part Two July 12, 2015
- Giggerota the Wicked, Part One July 12, 2015
- Heresy in the First Degree- Thodin of the Ostral-B Pair March 29, 2015
- this is a test March 19, 2015
- Are You Lexxperienced? February 8, 2015
- 790 spotted at a comiccon September 15, 2014
- Lexxperience August 19, 2014
- Bunny July 5, 2014
- Whatever happened to the Line Major? June 18, 2014
- googled7648688230920ba.html June 11, 2014
- ugmo June 1, 2014
- Lexx on twitter May 15, 2014
- Where can I watch Lexx? April 15, 2014
- I Worship His Shadow- part 10- the bug bomb March 13, 2014
- Lexx is not dead March 5, 2014
- Valentine Lexx February 4, 2014
- Last of the Brunnen-G: Sci-fi's Favorite Zombie February 3, 2014
- The Dark Zone and the Cycles of Time January 17, 2014
- Lexx fans video chat December 13, 2013
- But the dark zone is full of depravity and evilness and darkness November 6, 2013
- Lexx 2.0- coughing through the dust cloud September 4, 2013
- Lexx- Season Two August 26, 2013
- Print Your Own LEXX Magazine June 17, 2013
- LEXX WATCH PARTY 6-15-13 June 13, 2013
- Stargate Pie May 21, 2013
- the coolest LEXX t-shirt in the world May 14, 2013
- in which I thought T'Pol was a goner May 2, 2013
- Please Don't Bring Merlin Back April 27, 2013
- Lost Lexx Art April 12, 2013
- The Runelord April 12, 2013
- The Dead Do Not Snark April 9, 2013
- early monthly update April April 4, 2013
- Lexx actors on twitter and facebook March 28, 2013
- Old Fashioned Chicken Stock March 26, 2013
- the making of Lexx March 24, 2013
- Why Lexx Is Personal March 23, 2013
- The Lexx Revival Project March 19, 2013
- Lexx Twitter Challenge March 18, 2013
- monthly update March 2013 March 14, 2013
- 3-13-13 March 13, 2013
- How big is the Lexx? February 26, 2013
- the day after Q February 22, 2013
- wrath of Q, sort of February 21, 2013
- diabetes and steroid meds February 21, 2013
- monthy update February 2013 February 15, 2013
- campfire scrambled eggs February 12, 2013
- Stanley Tweedle February 3, 2013
- the sounds of LEXX- info, downloads, soundtracks January 25, 2013
- I Worship His Shadow- part 9- Thodin January 10, 2013
- glitchy guestbook January 9, 2013
- Group LEXX watch twitter party January 5, 2013
- The Nerdist Wimp January 1, 2013
- You Can't Handle Watching LEXX December 30, 2012
- Loca Chili Bake December 29, 2012
- surprise! December 29, 2012
- Lexx- wallpapers, icons, pix December 27, 2012
- Kai on the River Kwai December 23, 2012
- Lexx on Netflix December 23, 2012
- End of the World December 21, 2012
- pleasant surprises December 18, 2012
- Happy Decemberween December 15, 2012
- Holiday Lexx December 14, 2012
- Lexx traffic December 12, 2012
- Why Lexx Is Important December 7, 2012
- Prisoner Zero December 7, 2012
- Lexx ecards December 4, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 8- Zev Bellringer December 1, 2012
- What, NO Lexx??? November 28, 2012
- chicken herd November 27, 2012
- sausage king of Chicago November 27, 2012
- Da Lexx- Rapdicted November 27, 2012
- Lexx on Droid November 25, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 7- Termination November 25, 2012
- Lexx and psychological health, perhaps November 20, 2012
- in between times November 19, 2012
- Any particular reason why Florida? November 18, 2012
- Holidays with Diabetes- Easier Than You Think November 14, 2012
- this year has been intoxicating November 13, 2012
- Lexx- opening sequence November 13, 2012
- Daycation November 9, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 6- The Big Bug November 7, 2012
- Wabble- online Scrabble game November 6, 2012
- and, sadly, no rooster around to make this worthwhile November 2, 2012
- Team Nerd November 1, 2012
- Saving Mr.s Thompson- the secrets October 31, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 5- The Time Prophet October 30, 2012
- autumn peak in the Ozarks October 29, 2012
- happy birthday! October 24, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 4- His Divine Shadow October 22, 2012
- 172 October 20, 2012
- how to give to charity, Charlie Brown October 19, 2012
- 173 October 18, 2012
- John Deakins- Barrow October 18, 2012
- 174 October 17, 2012
- 175 October 16, 2012
- 176 October 15, 2012
- Italian Chicken Fingers October 14, 2012
- killing time in between thunderstorms October 13, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 3- Stanley Tweedle October 12, 2012
- prisoner transports over a stadium... October 11, 2012
- why am I taking so long posting more Lexx?!?! >=( October 11, 2012
- stunt double October 9, 2012
- professional yard cleaning service October 8, 2012
- really good chicken soup October 7, 2012
- a meandering kind of day October 5, 2012
- The Nerdist Way October 3, 2012
- Saving Mr.s Thompson October 2, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 2- The Cluster September 29, 2012
- mmm, rocks September 29, 2012
- Glade Top Trail September 24, 2012
- it's Halloween all year long with us September 19, 2012
- cackleberry factory September 16, 2012
- Lexx 1: I Worship His Shadow, part one September 13, 2012
- putting our purple on September 9, 2012
- restaurant quality alfredo sauce September 7, 2012
- The Lexx September 6, 2012
- visitors September 3, 2012
- blueberry buttermilk applejacks September 1, 2012
- Saving Mr. S Thompson August 29, 2012
- LARPing the night away August 24, 2012
- Marcel August 22, 2012
- ready for some peace and quiet August 20, 2012
- sex is wrong, or coming out of the pandimensional closet August 19, 2012
- ok, let's drag Lexx back out of the closet August 17, 2012
- in which I nearly saved Wil Wheaton's life August 16, 2012
- brain melt August 9, 2012
- molten lava cake could also equal love August 7, 2012
- the zombies got sitemeter August 7, 2012
- I married a zombie August 5, 2012
- feed me, Seymour August 4, 2012
- SAVE FERRIS July 29, 2012
- if there's time to lean, there's time to clean- ug July 28, 2012
- on a cicada-free night, you'd think we'd sleep July 28, 2012
- I have this chicken thing July 23, 2012
- Is anybody else watching Lost all over again? July 19, 2012
- zombie apocalypse July 13, 2012
- I did the unthinkable July 12, 2012