December 1, 2012
Images from photobucket.com/lexxpix. Thumbnails click to original size.
While Stanley Tweedle is going through a nasty Cluster parody of Theatre of the Absurd, his female counterpart in this story is about to be, well, let's find out. We rejoin her in the judicial chamber, where she's just witnessed Argon Protopi being gutted and brained for useful components and the protein bank. Argon's screams are barely over when her slab moves forward into position and her hologram advocate begins. "My client- (inserted voice here) Zev Bellringer of B3K- is innocent of the charge of- (pause for glitch)- failing to perform her wifely duties and humiliating her husband in the temple, and throws herself on the mercy of this court, secure in the knowledge that His Shadow's wisdom will prevail upon these proceedings."
I can't keep from wondering how many hours now she's been bolted to this slab. I try to imagine having to stand like that on those tiny footholds and never getting to put your arms down or go to the bathroom, and how terribly hungry you'd get. But we also don't know other stuff, like the smells around her- old metal and electronics, stale air perhaps, lots and lots of death... I can imagine this part of the building smelling like a slaughter house. I encourage Lexx fans to visit slaughter houses to really get that sensation of how awful being a prisoner is on the Cluster, and to realize that these experiences are at the heart of any kind of meaning behind the rest of the movies and series. For fans who don't 'get' the different seasons, you have to remember THIS is what shapes the minds and actions of our core four. What is the meaning of existence, where do you find it, and how do you know?
Like Argon before her, an assembly clamps to Zev's head while a robot activates the automated memory software. "Memory search commencing." You may notice this is 790's voice now if you've seen any of the Lexx movies or series before.
I don't know about you guys, but the idea of having my head clamped into place just sux, and I bet having the holojudge staring at her like this sucked for Zev, too.
Imagine this thing jabbing into your head for a memory search.
Like Argon, it looks like it about made her sick, but it starts working instantly, and the screen shows the search flitting through several memories. There were more, but dang hard to get on screen grabs.
Kinda curious about those bars... We find out what that's all about in season 2.
The screen settles on a memory, focuses a little, we see a boy and people in the background, and apparently Zev is the one saying, "You are my every dream come true" in a pretty, cultured voice.The boy steps forward with a you've gotta be kidding me look, then turns and angrily screams, "There must be a mistake! There's no way I can marry that COW!"
As we hear a shocked, possibly terrified, and definitely confused "Husband! I shall serve... I shall love...", we see Zev rolling her eyes at the memory, obviously well aware of how screwing up this badly canceled out how demeaning the whole experience was. Ridiculous is a word that hardly begins to describe it. She's on trial, and death can be its only outcome...
I can't help interjecting here that the boy's parents, as I assume them to be, are so intriguing that I had to go back and really look at them frame by frame as this all went down in the temple. We're already getting the strong hint that women are about as 3rd class as it gets in this societal structure, and the boy's mother is as passive as a cow in a sunny pasture herself, evidently so brainwashed into the expected behaviors of the system that she barely reacts at all to Zev's appearance or her son's anger. I mean, I almost feel like she is on a crapload of xanax or something. Likewise, the boy's father doesn't seem very perturbed beyond mild surprise, either, and as I watch the background behind them, I see another robot as part of the 'wedding party', as it were. This temple they're in leaves a LOT of questions open and hanging.
Ok, here comes the good part. Watch the parents' faces as the boy turns and screams again, "She makes me want to throw up! Get her out of here!"
Go Zev!!! ~Poor~ Zev, omg, she's about to be executed just for having a perfectly normal healthy reaction to being treated badly. "Memory search complete." The clamp lets go of her head. She knows what's coming next.
"You- Zev Bellringer of B3K- have been found guilty of failing to perform your wifely duties and humiliating your husband in the temple." I feel awful for her, I imagine the pain in her head from being jabbed with that probe must really suck on top of hearing this.
"You are hereby sentenced to be transformed into a love slave and to be given to Seminary 166145 to be used for their pleasure, may His Shadow fall upon you." Whaaaa???
How old is this hologram program, anyway? I'm asking because I am noticing the lines across the judge's image, like something in the electronics or software is worn out. Kinda creepy thinking that the guy used as the model for this program might be long since dead himself. The rail clangs over to a different track than the one Argon's slab followed, and Zev's slab moves forward toward another room as her defense advocate stands there smiling at her, frozen in place.
A robot walks along with the slab as she cries out, "Oh, please! Put me out of my misery! I volunteer for the protein bank!"
"I don't want to live this terrible life anymore!"
And her slab follows the robot into the next room.So, there is punishment worse than death, such as being reprogrammed to serve those who would continue to mistreat you, or even to live on in pieces and parts in things like robotic drones. I wonder how many of these 'trials' this robot has assisted with. Would you care if your body was forced to live on without your head? I think it would be creepy to have other people's bodies walking around without their original heads, but I think everyone in the League of 20,000 is so used to it they don't even think about it any more.
Zev's trial makes me think a *lot* about not only the penal system on the Cluster, but the rigid societal control His Shadow must have throughout the League of 20,000 Planets. You slip up even just a little bit, that's all the excuse they need to whisk you away and repurpose you. I think the whole gender class structure is just a cover for something far more menacing. If you can brainwash people to follow preset ruts without allowing them to think outside the lines, and then reinforce it with instant retribution in the form of immediate and absolute removal from society, never to be seen or heard from again, you wind up with a lot of people toeing the line and living in denial just to survive. Thinking about it only makes you miserable, saying something about it probably gets you killed sooner or later.
Trapped by high tech in low culture. His Shadow is a genius. Humans are so easy...
Original Zev Bellringer is played by Lisa Hynes - IMDb, but is credited in I Worship His Shadow as Lisa Hines.
Am I Lexxing too slowly? Order it for yourself from Echo Bridge Entertainment- Lexx
Post a Comment
XANGA IS BACK - a public thank you to the Xanga Team.
Lexxperience.com supports mobile viewing until Xanga gets that going again. (It's back on my Android now when I turn it sideways.)
Lexxperience is also on Facebook Public sharing page for Lexx fans.
Open discussion in the Lexxperience group on Facebook if you'd like to interact with me and other fans about what I'm writing about Lexx.
SAVE LEXX <-- what's happening with this blog.
I will NEVER ask for or accept donations to keep this site going. Ever.
Laptop screencaps used in not for profit blog episode and character reviews and film study at grandfortuna.xanga.com and lexxperience.blogspot.com Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."
My screencaps are hosted at LexxPix. You are welcome to use my bandwidth to share these pix to other sites.
Public hashtag #pblexxpix goes to a shared album in my photobucket. Anything on twitter, instagram, and photobucket labeled with this hashtag will automatically appear in this album as well. You are welcome to use my bandwidth to share these pix to other sites.
Lexx fans have permission to translate and copy my material to other fan sites and hotlink images from this blog.
My original tracker also still lets me see the latest 500 visitors on a map. I once counted over 80 countries among the total visits. You guys are not alone. Click the map to see it better.
Besides Lexx, the most common search phrases that bring new visitors here are variations on 'huge spaceship'. The most seen post from a phrase search is How Big is the Lexx? My biggest Lexx referrer is Lexx Domain. Most of page views per person count comes from the Lexx tag on Tumblr. Visitors who stay the longest come through URLOpener and are pinged through the Google translator server in Mountain View, CA.
Everything I have in this blog
- 1127 January 27, 2016
- Zev vs Xev August 27, 2015
- Pope Giggy- Giggerota, Part 4 July 12, 2015
- It's Good to be Queen- Giggerota, Part Three July 12, 2015
- gettin Giggy with the afterlife: Giggerota- Part Two July 12, 2015
- Giggerota the Wicked, Part One July 12, 2015
- Heresy in the First Degree- Thodin of the Ostral-B Pair March 29, 2015
- this is a test March 19, 2015
- Are You Lexxperienced? February 8, 2015
- 790 spotted at a comiccon September 15, 2014
- Lexxperience August 19, 2014
- Bunny July 5, 2014
- Whatever happened to the Line Major? June 18, 2014
- googled7648688230920ba.html June 11, 2014
- ugmo June 1, 2014
- Lexx on twitter May 15, 2014
- Where can I watch Lexx? April 15, 2014
- I Worship His Shadow- part 10- the bug bomb March 13, 2014
- Lexx is not dead March 5, 2014
- Valentine Lexx February 4, 2014
- Last of the Brunnen-G: Sci-fi's Favorite Zombie February 3, 2014
- The Dark Zone and the Cycles of Time January 17, 2014
- Lexx fans video chat December 13, 2013
- But the dark zone is full of depravity and evilness and darkness November 6, 2013
- Lexx 2.0- coughing through the dust cloud September 4, 2013
- Lexx- Season Two August 26, 2013
- Print Your Own LEXX Magazine June 17, 2013
- LEXX WATCH PARTY 6-15-13 June 13, 2013
- Stargate Pie May 21, 2013
- the coolest LEXX t-shirt in the world May 14, 2013
- in which I thought T'Pol was a goner May 2, 2013
- Please Don't Bring Merlin Back April 27, 2013
- Lost Lexx Art April 12, 2013
- The Runelord April 12, 2013
- The Dead Do Not Snark April 9, 2013
- early monthly update April April 4, 2013
- Lexx actors on twitter and facebook March 28, 2013
- Old Fashioned Chicken Stock March 26, 2013
- the making of Lexx March 24, 2013
- Why Lexx Is Personal March 23, 2013
- The Lexx Revival Project March 19, 2013
- Lexx Twitter Challenge March 18, 2013
- monthly update March 2013 March 14, 2013
- 3-13-13 March 13, 2013
- How big is the Lexx? February 26, 2013
- the day after Q February 22, 2013
- wrath of Q, sort of February 21, 2013
- diabetes and steroid meds February 21, 2013
- monthy update February 2013 February 15, 2013
- campfire scrambled eggs February 12, 2013
- Stanley Tweedle February 3, 2013
- the sounds of LEXX- info, downloads, soundtracks January 25, 2013
- I Worship His Shadow- part 9- Thodin January 10, 2013
- glitchy guestbook January 9, 2013
- Group LEXX watch twitter party January 5, 2013
- The Nerdist Wimp January 1, 2013
- You Can't Handle Watching LEXX December 30, 2012
- Loca Chili Bake December 29, 2012
- surprise! December 29, 2012
- Lexx- wallpapers, icons, pix December 27, 2012
- Kai on the River Kwai December 23, 2012
- Lexx on Netflix December 23, 2012
- End of the World December 21, 2012
- pleasant surprises December 18, 2012
- Happy Decemberween December 15, 2012
- Holiday Lexx December 14, 2012
- Lexx traffic December 12, 2012
- Why Lexx Is Important December 7, 2012
- Prisoner Zero December 7, 2012
- Lexx ecards December 4, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 8- Zev Bellringer December 1, 2012
- What, NO Lexx??? November 28, 2012
- chicken herd November 27, 2012
- sausage king of Chicago November 27, 2012
- Da Lexx- Rapdicted November 27, 2012
- Lexx on Droid November 25, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 7- Termination November 25, 2012
- Lexx and psychological health, perhaps November 20, 2012
- in between times November 19, 2012
- Any particular reason why Florida? November 18, 2012
- Holidays with Diabetes- Easier Than You Think November 14, 2012
- this year has been intoxicating November 13, 2012
- Lexx- opening sequence November 13, 2012
- Daycation November 9, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 6- The Big Bug November 7, 2012
- Wabble- online Scrabble game November 6, 2012
- and, sadly, no rooster around to make this worthwhile November 2, 2012
- Team Nerd November 1, 2012
- Saving Mr.s Thompson- the secrets October 31, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 5- The Time Prophet October 30, 2012
- autumn peak in the Ozarks October 29, 2012
- happy birthday! October 24, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 4- His Divine Shadow October 22, 2012
- 172 October 20, 2012
- how to give to charity, Charlie Brown October 19, 2012
- 173 October 18, 2012
- John Deakins- Barrow October 18, 2012
- 174 October 17, 2012
- 175 October 16, 2012
- 176 October 15, 2012
- Italian Chicken Fingers October 14, 2012
- killing time in between thunderstorms October 13, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 3- Stanley Tweedle October 12, 2012
- prisoner transports over a stadium... October 11, 2012
- why am I taking so long posting more Lexx?!?! >=( October 11, 2012
- stunt double October 9, 2012
- professional yard cleaning service October 8, 2012
- really good chicken soup October 7, 2012
- a meandering kind of day October 5, 2012
- The Nerdist Way October 3, 2012
- Saving Mr.s Thompson October 2, 2012
- I Worship His Shadow- part 2- The Cluster September 29, 2012
- mmm, rocks September 29, 2012
- Glade Top Trail September 24, 2012
- it's Halloween all year long with us September 19, 2012
- cackleberry factory September 16, 2012
- Lexx 1: I Worship His Shadow, part one September 13, 2012
- putting our purple on September 9, 2012
- restaurant quality alfredo sauce September 7, 2012
- The Lexx September 6, 2012
- visitors September 3, 2012
- blueberry buttermilk applejacks September 1, 2012
- Saving Mr. S Thompson August 29, 2012
- LARPing the night away August 24, 2012
- Marcel August 22, 2012
- ready for some peace and quiet August 20, 2012
- sex is wrong, or coming out of the pandimensional closet August 19, 2012
- ok, let's drag Lexx back out of the closet August 17, 2012
- in which I nearly saved Wil Wheaton's life August 16, 2012
- brain melt August 9, 2012
- molten lava cake could also equal love August 7, 2012
- the zombies got sitemeter August 7, 2012
- I married a zombie August 5, 2012
- feed me, Seymour August 4, 2012
- SAVE FERRIS July 29, 2012
- if there's time to lean, there's time to clean- ug July 28, 2012
- on a cicada-free night, you'd think we'd sleep July 28, 2012
- I have this chicken thing July 23, 2012
- Is anybody else watching Lost all over again? July 19, 2012
- zombie apocalypse July 13, 2012
- I did the unthinkable July 12, 2012